Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Homemade Applesauce.




With all the health issues
that has been happening to my family
in the last 3 years,
im trying slowly to change our diet.

First by starting to eat clean
and of course exercising regularly,
then next is to learn to make
all my food from scratch,
which isnt easy i know,
but we're trying to get rid of
process food or canned food
as much as possible.

So learning to make my own *sauces*,
jams, butter, milk etc.,
is a huge step for me.

So since ive been feeling
under the weather lately,
bored and stuck at home,
I decided to whip out my ever-growing
recipe file that I am slowly collecting
and made this applesauce from scratch.

Applesauce or Apple Puree are a good source
for babyfood, to be eaten with oats/ pancakes/ bread/ meat,
or even a great baking ingredient substitute
if you dont want eggs in your desserts.

Click *here* for more ideas
on what to do with applesauces!

******

Okay so here's the recipe.

Ingredients:
1kg Apples (i used fuji apple)
1/3 cup of water

Now to tell you the truth,
measurements dont quite matter
as I end up adding more water than was required.

Just make sure you add bit by bit and if you are
unhappy with the consistency (if you want it thicker or thinner),
then you can add or reduce the water.




So first peel, core and cut the apples up
and put them all in a pan with the water.

Bring it up to a boil then reduce the heat
to cook for about 20-30 mins.

Keep checking and stiring your apples
and make sure they dont dry out!

Most recipes called for lemon juice,
cinnamon or even brown sugar to be added in
but i find it sweet enough for my liking
just the way it is (natural sugar from the apples).

Once its soft, you can use a potato masher
or if you like it chunky, you can leave it as it is
or like what i did was I put them in a blender
and pureed it to my desired consistency.




It can store in the fridge in a jar
for up to 3-4 days but can easily be stored away
in the freezer for months.

So there you have it,
your very own applesauce from scratch!

No preservatives, no sugar added and gluten free!