Friday, November 15, 2013

My first (mini) muffins!




Okay I know starting at 27
to learn to cook and bake,
isnt exactly a 'wow' factor anymore
but it is personally a huge achievement for me!

I finally put my oven to good use
and whipped up a huge batter
(and thank goodness i did!)
for 2 and a half tray of mini muffins.

I bought the mini muffin tray
so that i was able to control my portions! haha!


******



Ingredients:
2 cups of self raising flour*
2/3 cup caster (super fine) sugar
60g butter, melted
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
200g milk chocolate bits/chips

Serves approx 33 mini cupcakes.

*No self raising flour? Not a problem! I swapped mine with every 1 cup of self raising flour = 1 cup of all purpose flour, 1.5 teaspoon of baking powder and 1/4 salt. ;)

Now being the health freak that i am,
i used organic multi-grained flour,
switched 30g of butter to 30g of
the *homemade applesauce* I did earlier,
I also used low fat milk and halfed & also switched
the milk choc chips to dark chocolate ones.





Method:

1) Preheat oven to 180C and lightly grease muffin pan.
2) Sift flour and sugar into bowl.
3) Using a spoon, stir in the remaining ingredients until well combined.
4) Spoon mixture evenly into pan, filling cups 3/4 of the way. (because it will rise!)
5) Place into preheated oven and bake for approx 25 mins. Muffins are cooked when they are light and golden.
6) Remove from oven and allow muffins to stand in pan for approx 5 mins.
7) Invert them onto wire rack to cool completely.





Now i wont lie.

I was so excited with my first batch
that i didnt quite check my oven properly when i baked
and totally ruined it by burning the top of my mini muffins.

So luckily i made a huge batch of batter
and switched things around.

I separated my batter into 3 bowls.

First bowl, I added orange zest and candied orange peels.
Second bowl, I added peanut butter and added choc rice on top.

For the third, I placed a lil batter in the cups,
then stuck a piece of milk chocolate square in the center
and covered it again with batter,
coated the top with crushed walnuts.

I did different tops
so i could differentiate them.








I half hoped my 3rd creation,
(the one with the choc squares)
would create an ooze like a lava cake would
when i cut it open,
unfortunately it didnt.

Must not be the right consistency haha!

But i must say,
they were successful, delicious
and gorgeous!

Verdict: Funny enough, the boy and I both agreed that the orange flavoured muffin was the best! yay!

Whatcha waiting for?
Now go ahead and try! x

PS: Btw, whoever created the silicone baking trays/cups are geniuses!


-------------------------------------------------------------

Its going to be a very busy week ahead
and soon im off for my first ever holiday
since *Melbourne* in March.

I know i promised to blog about the wedding
and i'll try to do it soon before i fly off!

Till then, happy weekend everyone! x